What your MP can do for you

This section is designed to answer any questions you may have about the role of MPs and how they can help you.

As the Member of Parliament for Sutton Coldfield, Andrew’s role is to represent his constituents at Westminster, regardless of whether or not they voted for him.

It is important to note that Members of Parliament can only deal with issues raised by their own constituents, so make sure you check you are contacting the MP who represents your constituency.

What can my MP do to help me?

Andrew can help you with all matters for which Parliament or central government is responsible, such as:

How does my MP deal with my problem?

Andrew can deal with constituents’ problems in a number of ways, some of which include:

  • A letter to the relevant organisation.
  • A letter to the relevant Government Minister.
  • Seek clarification of the reason for decisions taken.
  • Support appeals by individuals or communities.

Many problems (but not all) can be resolved in this way. Whilst an MP cannot always obtain the answer you would like he can ascertain that correct procedures have been followed.

If you feel there has been unnecessary delay or maladministration Andrew may be able to take your case to the Parliamentary Ombudsman. Individuals cannot take their case direct to the Ombudsman but must do so through an MP.

When should I contact someone else?

Some issues are not the direct responsibility of Parliament or government. In these instances, you should first contact either your local council or your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau before considering contacting your MP.

These are issues such as:

  • Council tax.
  • Private problems with neighbours, landlords, employers, family; or companies who’ve sold you faulty goods.
  • Decisions made by the courts.
  • Issues that are the responsibility of your Local Authority, ie dustbins or street repairs.

If your problem concerns the Local Authority you should contact your local Councillor. Details on all of Sutton Coldfield’s Councillors and how to contact them are available on Birmingham City Council's website.

For details of all your elected representatives visit www.writetothem.com.


Protecting Your Data

In line with data protection regulations, my Office processes constituents’ data for casework and policy query purposes under the lawful basis of public interest. In instances where this lawful basis is not sufficient and explicit consent is required, a member of my office will contact you to establish your consent.

My Office holds all data indefinitely until it is no longer relevant or necessary for us to do so. However, data will be processed only to the extent to which it is necessary to achieve the stated purposes of assisting with casework and policy matters.

Please note that you hold rights in relation to our data controlling and data processing activities which is detailed on the Information Commissioner’s Office website. You can access this by clicking here.