The Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield is located about 8 miles from central Birmingham, in the north east of the city and has a population of about 105,000 as recorded in the 2001 census.
Sutton Coldfield is the largest and most northerly Parliamentary constituency in Birmingham, bordering Staffordshire and Warwickshire countryside to the north and east.
In 1528, a charter of King Henry VIII gave the town the right to be known for ever as "The Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield" and to be governed by a warden and society. The charter was secured by Bishop John Vesey. This unreformed corporation survived until 1885, when it was replaced by a municipal borough.
The town is well known for its 2,400 acres of natural parkland with seven lakes, originally the property of Bishop Vesey after it was given to him by Henry VIII. Old Moor Hall, the fifteenth century home of the Bishop still stands. He also founded the Grammar School which is named after him.
In addition to Sutton Coldfield’s vast green space there are many public and privately owned historic buildings throughout the town; some are covered by the conservation areas of Four Oaks and the Town Centre.
Sutton Coldfield makes up a number of districts including Wylde Green and Boldmere to the south of the town centre, Mere Green and Four Oaks to the north and Walmley to the south east.